Chicken, Spinach, Spaghetti Squash Marinara Casserole
This casserole is one of my go to favorites for meal that is traditional, clean, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and delicious. I’ve done several variations using spaghetti squash as my base for the casserole and change up the veggies and protein sources to make something new each time. This one is full of non-starchy carbs from spinach, spaghetti squash, carrots and onions. Chicken from my local farmers market is actually a stewing hen and is full of flavor. I added Applegate Farms turkey bacon as an experiment and it turned out fantastic.
This 1 dish meal is full of nutrient dense whole foods that will leave you feeling satisfied and full of sustained energy. The eggs are pastured from a friend who has her own laying hens and I was lucky enough to grab several dozen this week. I love that this dish gets a bit crispy on top and the addition of the egg makes it seem like it has cheese in it- when it doesn’t. And it stores beautifully. You can freeze left overs or put it in serving sizes to take to work for lunch the next day. This is truly one of my favorite dishes to eat from left overs. It makes a 9 x 13 pan that serves the whole family. If you are trying to eat clean and avoid gluten, dairy, soy or nuts its got you covered and is compliant with the RESTART program and Whole 30 so enjoy!
- Spaghetti Squash
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 pack of Applegate Farms turkey bacon- chopped
- 3 carrots diced
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 t.nutmeg
- 1t. Celtic salt
- 1/2 t. poultry seasoning
- Meat from 1 chicken
- 4 pastured eggs
- 2 1/2 cups clean marina sauce or crushed tomatoes
- Optional- If you are able to eat diary, you can add some shredded Locatelli Sheep cheese to the top.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in 1/2 and place in baking dish, cut side down. Add water to the dish just so that it covers the bottom abut 1/4 inch deep. Bake the squash 30 min. in a 350 degree oven.
- When done, flip over and let cool.
- While the squash is cooking, chop onion, turkey bacon, carrot, garlic and sauté in a pan using butter. When onions are translucent, add in the fresh spinach and the cooked chicken meat. add in the nutmeg, salt and poultry seasoning and stir until combined. Add jar of marina sauce.
- With a fork- remove the spaghetti shreds and place in a large bowl. Add chicken mixture and mix well. Whisk the 4 eggs and them pour over everything and mix until you can't see the egg anymore.
- Place everything in a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been greased with coconut oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until the top is crispy and the center is firm.
- I shredded a bit of locatelli sheep cheese on top of mine. Omit the cheese if you are avoiding dairy. Serve with a side of garlicky green beans or a side salad.