This casserole is one of my go to favorites for meal that is traditional, clean, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and delicious. I’ve done several variations using spaghetti squash as my base for the casserole and change up the veggies and protein sources to make something new each time. This one is full of non-starchy carbs from spinach, spaghetti squash, carrots and onions. Chicken from my local farmers market is actually a stewing hen and is full of flavor. I added Applegate Farms turkey bacon as an experiment and it turned out fantastic.
In the Restart program we focus on preparing food and prepping in week 1. When you are prepared you will succeed. So we talk about clearing out the pantry of processed foods and making items ahead of time to have on hand so you don’t grab a non-compliant food because you are hungry and have nothing prepared. Planning, preparing and putting foods away in meal size containers is a way to make meal times easier and healthier! I participate in the challenge along with my RESTART students and this is one of the tastiest breakfast items I have made. It’s gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, soy free and 100% delicious! It contains healthy fats, good quality protein and healthy carbs from veggies. This is a clean recipe that your whole family will enjoy. They are great to make ahead and then have on hand for a grab and go breakfast. Enjoy!
- 3/4 pound clean chorizo sausage- I get mine locally from Creek Side Farms.
- 2 handfuls of fresh organic spinach
- 10 pastured eggs
- 1/2 sweet potato- cubed
- 1/2 acorn squash-cubed
- 1 t. celtic salt
- fresh basil to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo sausage. While it is cooking, add the sweet potato and acorn squash and sauté until soft. add in spinach and salt and cook until all is blended.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups and place 1 T of sausage filling in each cup.
- Mix eggs in a pourable bowl. Pour the eggs over the filling.
- Bake 350 for 20 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy as a quick breakfast. You can substitute any vegetables of your choice.